Electricity is one of the greatest inventions of all time. It is used in homes, commercial settings and industrial facilities, as well as public spaces. Electricity has become ubiquitous and is such an essential part of modern life that it is impossible to think of a world without it.
On the downside, electricity can be dangerous in a variety of ways, especially if not used or handled correctly. Anyone living in a place with an electricity connection should know how to stay safe while enjoying the benefits that electricity brings.
Here are some key electrical safety tips for homeowners like you.
Know Your Home's Maximum Electrical Load
The size of your home's main electrical service determines the maximum amperage available to your home. You should know this figure so that you can avoid exceeding the capacity of your residential electrical service. Exceeding your home's maximum electrical capacity could lead to an overload, which can cause electrical hazards.
The good news is that you don't have to be a trained electrician to know your home's total electrical capacity. You can find the information present on the main service panel.
Know the Capacity of Individual Electrical Outlets
Once electricity is delivered to your main electrical service panel, it is distributed to various power outlets inside and outside your home. It is important that you know the electrical capacity of each outlet so you can avoid plugging in appliances or devices that may overload the outlets, causing small fires.
Use Extension Cords Correctly
Extension cords allow you to connect multiple appliances to a single electrical outlet, thus eliminating the need to plug in each device to a separate outlet. If not used correctly, however, these electrical devices can be a safety hazard.
For example, an extension cord shouldn't run across the room, as they can trip residents and cause the cord to be disconnected from the outlet. This can cause injury as well as damage to the cord.
Don't Use Faulty Wiring or Appliances
If you can hear a buzzing sound coming from an electrical outlet, it's likely that you have loose wiring. Flickering lights are another warning sign of faulty wiring, but they could also point to problems with your domestic appliances. Faulty wiring or appliances should never be ignored as they have the potential to cause severe injury and costly damage to your home.
The best way to keep everyone safe from electrical hazards is to have a residential electrical check your electrical equipment and system on a regular basis and to contact them when you are experiencing any electrical issues in your abode.
For more information, contact an electrician.