Any problem with your home's electrical system shouldn't be ignored because it poses a serious threat to the safety of your family and property. Electrical defects put people at risk of electrocution and can also lead to property damage if they trigger a fire or an explosion.
That said, it's important to know the warning signs of a malfunctioning electrical system so you can seek out an electrical repair specialist when the need arises. Outlined below are some tell-tale signs your home's electrical system may be in need of repair service.
1. Electrical Shocks From Your Light Switches
If you experience a sharp zap of electricity flowing through your hand or arm when you flip a light switch with dry hands, this is a sign that your electrical system is faulty. There are several reasons why your light switches may be shocking you. These include:
- Loose/faulty house wiring
- Damaged light switches
- Improperly grounded light switches
A residential electrician can check your faulty light switches and fix the cause of the electrocution.
2. Blinking Lights
When your home's electrical system is working properly, the lights in the home should remain bright and steady. Lights that seem unsteady and appear to be losing their brightness are an indication of problems with your electrical system. Some common culprits include:
- Loose bulb
- Faulty light fixture
- Incompatible wall switch
- Wrong bulb type
The solution to this problem depends on its cause. If a bulb that is loose in its socket causes flickering lights in your home, you can fix the problem by simply fitting the bulb properly.
3. Burning Outlets
A burning odour coming from your electrical outlets is never a good sign because it points out overheating problems within your electrical system. Overheating can occur due to faulty wiring or a circuit overload. Both issues should be addressed as quickly as possible to prevent a possible fire or explosion.
4. Buzzing Outlets
A buzzing sound coming from an electrical outlet is another important warning sign to take note of. Common reasons why you may hear an electrical buzz from your outlet include:
- Old/damaged/loose wiring
- Poor outlet installation
- Power imbalance
If you have a buzzing outlet, it's good to get it fixed immediately. Ignoring this issue could compromise the safety and functionality of your entire electrical system.
From blinking lights and buzzing outlets to burning outlets and light switches that cause electrical shock when flipped, residential electricians have seen and can fix it all. Contact them if you need electrical system repair services.